The Unit 207 Newsletter editor is Larry Davis. The board member supervising the unit newsletter is Chris Hull. The newsletter will be available on or about the first day of the months of February, April, June, August, October and December. Please let the editor know about newsworthy items so that they may be included in the newsletter. Please do not expect everything told to the editor to appear in the newsletter. The supervising editor makes the final decision on each issue's content.
|Upcoming Unit 207 Events|
|Feb 1||(Sat)||NW Rec Center - Annual Unit Meeting and Unit Tournament|
|Mar 1||(Sat)||NW Rec Center - Unit-level GNT qualifier (Flights B and C) - two sessions|
|Upcoming Special Games at Clubs|
|Feb 2||(Sun)||Dell Center - time change - this and all future Sunday games at 1:30|
|Feb 4||(Tues)||NW Center - Inter-Club Championship|
|Feb 6||(Thurs)||Dell Center game moved to NW Center at 11:30|
|Feb 12||(Weds)||NW Center - Club Championship|
|Feb 16||(Sun)||Dell Center - Junior Fund Game (sectionally rated)|
|Feb 17||(Mon)||Senior Center - no game (evening game at NW Center will be held)|
|Feb 18||(Tues)||NW Center - Club Championship|
|Feb 21||(Fri)||Senior Center - Club Championship|
|Feb 24||(Mon)||Senior Center - ACBL-Wide Senior Game (must be 55+)|
|Mar 2||(Sun)||Dell Center - Club Championship|
|Mar 3||(Mon)||Senior Center - Club Championship|
|Mar 20||(Thurs)||Dell Center - Charity Game|
|Mar 20||(Thurs)||NW Center - Club Championship|
|Mar 22||(Sat)||Frankenys' House - Club Championship (correction)|
|Future Austin Tournaments|
|Mar 22-23, 2003 ||(Sat-Sun) ||NW Center - NLM Sectional (Non-Life Master)|
|May 1-4, 2003||(Thur-Sun)||Clarion Inn - northwest "corner" of I-35 and Oltorf|
|Jul 12-13, 2003||(Sat-Sun)||NW Center - NLM Sectional|
|Sep 18-21, 2003||(Thur-Sun)||Clarion Inn|
|Nov 22-23||(Sat-Sun)||NW Center - NLM Sectional|
|Jan 1-4, 2004||(Thur-Sun)||DoubleTree Hotel - District 16 NAP finals Sat-Sun|
- Grand National Teams
- The GNT's are coming! Get your teams together. Flights B and C will compete at the unit-level on March 1st (Sat) at the NW Center. Half of the field from each flight will advance to the district-level to be held at the Dallas Sectional May 23rd - 26th. Flight A and Championship Flight teams go directly to the district-level (no unit-level qualifying). The flights are: Championship: open, A: 2000 - 5000, B: 500 - 2000 and C: non-life masters less than 500. District-level winners (one team in each flight) advance to the national-level to be held at the Summer Nationals.
- New Life Masters: Harvey Browning, Stephen Campbell
New Gold Life Master: Jerry Bigler
Note: names are listed in this newsletter after they have appeared in the ACBL Bulletin.
- Inter-Club Championships
- Several Inter-Club Championship games will be held at local clubs in 2003. These games are sponsored by the ACBL and are like STAC games, only nation-wide. The first such game will be held Feb 4th (Tues) at the NW Center. The results of each game are emailed to ACBL within 24 hours of the game, and the ACBL determines overall awards with across-the-field (all clubs participating) scoring. There are, of course, session awards as well. Players may view/download hand analyses after the game.
- Junior Fund Games
- Several Junior Fund Games will be held at local clubs in 2003. These games benefit the ACBL in its efforts to promote bridge among young people, e.g. at high schools. These events pay sectionally-rated black points and will cost $1 extra. Quarterly games will be held at the Dell Center (Sun) and at the NW Center (Wed) for a total of eight such games.
- Bridge on the Web
- A partial list of useful bridge websites: www.acbl.org, the official website of the ACBL (look up
your masterpoints!); www.d16acbl.org, the official website of District 16 (tournament information);
and home.austin.rr.com/sbruce, the official website of our unit.
- Annual Unit Meeting
- The annual unit meeting will be held at the NW Center at 12:30 on February 1st (Sat). A slate of candidates for the Unit Board of
Directors will be formally presented, and additional nominations may be made from the floor. The slate will likely be: Andras Budinszky,
Evelyn Cloninger, Hal DeShong, Bill Ferguson, Bobbie Mayer, Mark McAllister, Clint Schuhmacher and Phyllis Tate. Changes to the
Unit 207 Bylaws will be voted upon. A one-session Unit Tournament will follow the meeting at 1:30. Those attending the meeting
play for free. Refreshments will be available.
- Mentor Program
- The Unit 207-sponsored mentor program has begun. More experienced players (mentors) have been paired with less experienced
players (mentees) and will be playing twice/month at club games during 2003. Please call Kathy McCabe if you are a mentor or
mentee and have questions/concerns.
- Deaths and Departures
- Robert Pollock, of Austin, was a Bronze Life Master.
- Double Session Events
- Unit 207 sponsors many special events throughout the year, some of which are double session events. For most of these
events, one does NOT have to play in both sessions! If you intend to play only the first session, inform the director at
the time of buying your entry. If you intend to play only the second session, simply show up at the second session. If
you do not play both sessions, you will not be eligible for overall awards but you will still be eligible for masterpoints
awards for the one session that you do play. Also, you may later decide to play in the second session even though you told
the director that you would be playing only the first session, but you will not be eligible for overall awards. Exceptions:
you must play both sessions of unit-level NAP / GNT events.
- Austin January Sectional
- The recent Austin Sectional/District 16 NAP was quite a success! We had over 100 tables more than was optimistically
hoped for. As a result, the unit made money. Historically, this tournament (when coupled with the District 16 NAP) has
lost money. Thanks to Phyllis Tate for Partnerships, Vera Chimene and Laura Delfeld for Caddies, Kevin Perkins for Supplies,
Steve Bruce for Photography and Larry Davis and James Wueste for chairing the tournament. In other tournament news, the
May 2003 Sectional will be chaired by Kathy McCabe and Jenny Stocker. Also, the July 2004 Regional (held at the DoubleTree
Hotel) will be chaired by Rosemary Kelley and Mary Anne Laier.
- Insufficient Bids
- The following often occurs at the table: the person who made an insufficient bid gives an explanation to the director
(and, therefore, to everyone else at the table) as to how this happened. Usually, the explanation is "I didn't see partner's
opening bid." DO NOT give this (or any other) explanation. None is needed. The offender wants to explain himself, but what
the explanation actually does is give unauthorized information to his partner. In many bidding scenarios, an explanation (of
not seeing a bid) tells offender's partner that offender has an opening hand (rather than a one-level response showing perhaps
just 6 HCP, or a two-level response showing perhaps just 10 HCP). This unauthorized information may subject offender to extra
(and perhaps more serious) penalties. Simply call the director when an insufficient bid occurs, and let the director do all
of the talking and question asking. Also, the person to the left of the insufficient bidder has the first option. He may choose
to accept the insufficient bid. DO NOT simply make the bid sufficient without first calling the director.